15 Drake Lyrics That Were Almost Definitely About Rihanna

Publish date: 2024-05-17
Drake Rihanna lyric

Has Drizzy been sending hidden messages to Rihanna all along?

Drake’s relationship with Rihanna may have been on and off over the years but the pair have always shared a unique musical chemistry.

Despite all the rumours, their hit collaborations always appear to drop cryptic clues about their personal relationship. 

And fans of ‘Aubrih’ don’t need to look much further than Drake’s lyrics for the truth.

The rapper's complicated relationship with RiRi appears to be spelled out in lyrics throughout his career.

From 'Thank Me Later' to 'Views', these are the Drake lyrics which were almost definitely about Rihanna:

Drake - 'Fireworks' (2010)

"Who coulda predicted Lucky Strike would have you stuck with me?/ What happened between us that night, it always seems to trouble me"

The first hint about Drake’s relationship with Rihanna surfaced when the pair were spotted on a date at ‘Lucky Strike Lanes and Lounge’ in 2009. Drizzy later told The New York Times that he thought RiRi was leading him on.

Rihanna - 'What's My Name' (2010)

"Say you gotta leave/ But I know you wanna stay/ You just waiting on the traffic jam to finish girl/ The things we could do in 20 minutes girl"

Drake dropped an even bigger hint about dating Rihanna through his sensual verse on her hit single 'What's My Name'. The pair also showed off their unmistakable chemistry in the music video.

Drake - 'Take Care' (2011)

“When you’re ready, just say you’re ready/ When all the baggage just ain’t as heavy/ And the parties over, just don’t forget me/ We’ll change the pace and we’ll just go slow”

During an on-and-off phase in their relationship, Drake appeared to be willing to wait for Rihanna to get rid of her "baggage" in his 2011 single. At the time, Chris Brown was still attempting to win her back after his infamous assault in 2009.

Drake - 'Made Men' (2011)

“One of my baddest women ever, I call Rihanna/ But that’s because her name is Rihanna”

On his 2011 collaboration with Rick Ross, Drizzy dropped a huge compliment to RiRi - hinting their relationship was back on track. 

2 Chainz - 'No Lie' (2012)

"That look like what's her name, chances are it's what's her name/ Chances are if she was acting up then I f*cked her once and never f*cked  again"   But things appeared to sour after a feature verse in 2012. Drizzy cleverly name-dropped their collaboration 'What's My Name' before suggesting the singer was "acting up".

Drake - 'From Time' (2013)

"We even talked about you in our couple of moments/ He said we should hash it out like a couple of grown ups." With the pair continuing to argue, it appears Drake sought some much-needed advice from his Dad, who suggested they should try to fix their problems.

Drake - 'Days In East' (2014)

"Mention other girls, you get insecure already/ That was in the past, I'm matured already/ F*ck them hoes you got the award already" After briefly getting back together, Drake's relationship with Rihanna took a turn for the worst when she dumped him in 2014. Drizzy's lyrics on 'Days In The East' suggest he tried to win her back.

Beyonce - 'Mine' (2014)

"Stop making a big deal out of the little things, Let's get carried away... Come right now you know where I stay..."
And in a collaboration with Beyonce later in 2014, Drake's lyrics suggest he was still trying to win her back.

Drake - 'Views The Six' (2014)

"What made us wanna act like we were married for two weeks?/ Now we back in California, we don't even speak"

In 2014, Rihanna flew out to Europe to meet Drake on tour and the two got very close. However as his lyrics suggest in a leaked track, their relationship cooled when they got home.  

Rihanna - 'Work' (2016)

"When I see potential I just gotta see it through/ If you had a twin, I would still choose you/ I don't wanna rush into it, if it's too soon"

Drake and Rihanna shocked fans by rekindling their relationship in 2016 but according to Drizzy's 'Work' verse, he didn't want to "rush into it if it's too soon".

Drake - 'Controlla' (2016)

"My old flex is my new flex now and we're working' on it/ And that's why I need all the energy that you bring to me"   Drake appeared to confirm that he was dating his "old flex" Rihanna again by making reference to their previous relationship in 2014. 

Drake - 'Faithful' (2016)

"Cause you talk like you got what I need/ You talk like you got the juice and the squeeze/ Talk like you bet it all on me"
Then his lyrics in 'Faithful'  hinted that RiRi had expressed her feelings for him.

Drake - 'Redemption' (2016)

“Why do I settle for women that force me to pick up the pieces?/ Why do I want an independent woman to feel like she needs me?/ I lost my way”

In 'Redemption', Drake's lyrics appeared to suggest that he wants an "independent woman" like Rihanna to need him.

Drake - 'Too Good' (2016)

“I don’t know how to talk to you/ I just know I found myself getting lost with you/ Lately, you just make me work too hard for you/ Got me on flights overseas, and I still can’t get across to you”

And Drake's lyrics on 'Too Good' hinted that although their relationship was on track, the couple still struggled to communicate.

Drake - 'Views' (2016)

"Yeah, you feel the pressure, man I know the pressure/ And my wifey is a spice like I'm David Beckham" On the title track of his album 'Views', Drake is clearly happy in his relationship with Rihanna and even refers to her as his "wifey".

We’ll have to wait until Drizzy drops another song to find out the latest on AubRih!

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7pK3PoquapKipv6J6wqikaJmiqba0wNJom6uZm5p8rbXSrapopKmntqS%2FjJqZqK2kYr%2BqtMCnpZplopq5osDIqKWsoJmlfA%3D%3D